Anchored by a strong collaboration between the University of Minnesota and Makerere University that has been growing since 2005, the Uganda Hub was established in 2015 to lay the foundation for sustainable engagement.
Our major partners in this collaboration are Makerere University, Infectious Diseases Institute, Mulago Hospital, and University of Minnesota. Additional collaboration exists with Mbarara University of Science and Technology.
Uganda Hub Spotlight
A long history of strong collaborations with Makerere University built the foundation for the Uganda Hub that now expands networks, catalyzes new partnerships, and develops new opportunities for engagement and learning.
Uganda Hub Services
Through our established partnerships with trusted partners, and our Hub office space and Uganda house, we are able to help with your travel and support needs so that you can focus on your research, outreach, or clinical work while in Uganda. Our Uganda Hub offers multiple services to faculty, staff, and students at the University of Minnesota, including support to arrange accommodations, in-country ground travel, meeting space, and project support.
Request Project Support
Our Hub staff are available to consult with partners and students who are looking to establish new projects in Uganda or East Africa. They can also be engaged to support various aspects of projects. Our expertise includes contracts, navigating research resources, facilitating academic meetings or trainings, and linking with multidisciplinary academic partners.
Past & Current Project Examples
- Research Support: Assessment of immune response during hepatitis B and HIV coinfection - Worked in collaboration with UMN PI, Makerere co-I, and study coordinator to manage procurement needs through a contract established through CGHSR.
- 2018 Mental Health Symposium: Managed abstract solicitation and submission, scientific review, coordinated bi-weekly planning meetings between Makerere and UMN stakeholders, created marketing materials and online registration mechanism, arranged for travel of speakers in East Africa to attend, and provided logistical and event support of this full day event. See full agenda.
- Research Training Activities: Organize annual UMN faculty-led trainings on topics such as data management, data analysis, and manuscript writing that are open to UMN students and Makerere students and junior researchers and faculty working on UMN research studies. CGHSR contributes to logistical planning, registration, and communications for these types of activities.
Reserve Meeting Space in Kampala, Uganda
For a fee, our partners can reserve space for meetings or arrange for long-term work space at our space on Mulago Hill.
UMN Uganda House in Kampala
Rooms may be available at the UMN Uganda House for students, faculty and staff for a small fee. Lodging in the Uganda House is granted to eligible UMN affiliates on a first-come, first-served basis, so please submit a request early in your planning process.
We can also assist with the following:
- Recommendations on other options for accommodations in Kampala or in Mbarara, Masaka, Tororo, or Jinja in Uganda.
- If traveling to other locations in Uganda or elsewhere in East Africa, send your itinerary and we will consult with our network about options for accommodation.
Assist with Airport Pick-up Service
For airport transfers, please request a transfer through the intake form and we can connect you with a local driver with whom you can make arrangements and pay directly. It is suggested that you request transportation at least two weeks before you travel.