We have curated a selection of resources related to conducting global health research, outreach, or education at local or international sites. 

Conducting global health research, hosting outreach events, or organizing educational initiatives around the world can require a complex processes and arrangements. We have several resources available for your use below.



Global Health Project Planning and Implementation

We provide project planning and implementation services for global health initiatives at the University of Minnesota and around the world.

If you feel that you need extra support while planning a global health project or implementing one, set up a meeting with our team to discuss our Project Planning and Implementation Services. 

Learn more about our Project Planning and Implementation Services.

Two people stand in the median of a road


Travel Resources

Before you travel for University related business, it is important to be aware of University Policies and to also check with your school, college, or unit for additional processes they require. 

UMN COVID-19 Updates

University Administrative Policies Related to Travel

Global Programs and Strategy Alliance Resources

The Global Programs and Strategy Alliance (GPS Alliance) provides services and resources to assist faculty, staff, and students in planning safe and successful international travel. 

International Travel Registry

The University's Travel Policy requires all faculty and staff traveling abroad for University purposes to register their travel. Graduate assistants, residents, fellows, and students are required to register their travel through the Student International Travel Registry.

Emergency Phone Number

The University has a central international emergency phone number to be used by ALL University travelers who are abroad for University purposes.

International Insurance

Overview and resources regarding insurance for travel abroad. International medical insurance is recommended for all (and mandatory for some) Academic Health Center (AHC) faculty, staff and students traveling abroad.  This comprehensive insurance is available for less than $10/week.

Travel Approval

Process for obtaining approval for students to travel to countries on the U.S. State Department warning list or Cuba.

Technology Considerations when Traveling to China

This page lists resources and advice that the University and GPS Alliance recommends to anyone traveling to China. The situation in China is constantly changing, so this information will be updated as necessary.

What does it mean to be a 24-7 contact for a student abroad? 

University policy requires all travelers participating in University-purpose international travel or education abroad opportunities to provide a U.S.-based 24/7 emergency contact in the office, unit, or college that is supporting the traveler's activity abroad. Travelers must provide this information when registering their travel.

Contact us if you are a student participating in a CGHSR program and you need to list a 24-7 contact. We can connect you with the program lead that will act as your contact while abroad.

Other Travel Resources

UTravel - A Purchasing Services Program

Resources for faculty and staff booking travel for university purposes.



Affiliation Agreements

Agreements are established at the department, college and University level at the University of Minnesota. We work to expand Affiliation Agreements at the highest level to open the door for more interdisciplinary opportunities. If you are establishing or renewing an affiliation agreement for global health work, contact us for guidance.

U of M Affiliation Agreement Resources



Professional Organizations

The University of Minnesota maintains membership in several consortia and professional organizations working in the field of global health.

Key organizations include: