2017 Award Recipients
CGHSR awarded these Faculty Travel Awards for travel during the 2017-2018 academic year to further global health research collaborations in Thailand/Southeast Asia and Uganda/East Africa.
- Andres Perez, Professor, Department of Veterinary Population Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine: To host Dr. Tongkorn Meeyam, Director, Veterinary Public Health Centre for Asia Pacific, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Thailand to visit the Center for Animal Health and Food Safety, University of Minnesota to contribute to a grant proposal on capacity building of veterinary services at a global scale.
- Jameel Winter, Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Medical School: To continue and expand research and clinical partnerships with The Lake Clinic and Chenla Children's Hospital, Cambodia and explore the impact changing environment and ecosystem are having on child health.
- Keith Horvath, Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health: To explore potential collaboration in using current and emerging technologies to address HIV health outcomes with The Medical Concierge Group and the Infectious Disease Institute, Uganda.
- Charles Salmen, Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, Medical School: To host Joel Magioki Oguta, Director of Sustainable Agriculture, OHR-Ekialo Kiona Center, Kenya, to visit the University of Minnesota and explore interdisciplinary collaboration to advance research for health, food security, and climate change resilience.
- Olihe Okoro, Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice and Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy-Duluth: To host Tom Ngabirano, Senior Lecturer, Department of Nursing, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, Uganda to visit the University of Minnesota to explore collaboration in multidisciplinary approaches to HIV and chronic disease prevention (including mental health), treatment and management.