India: Mysore Placement
Flexible dates in 2017
Faculty: Shailey Prasad, University of Minnesota Medical School, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health; and Adjunct Professor, School of Public Health
Preceptors: R. Balasubramaniam (Balu) and TBD | Vivekananda Institute of Indian Studies (VIIS), Mysore, India
Participate in a 4-week project related to public health, health care delivery and/or other community activities. Dr. Prasad will interview applicants to discuss the placement opportunity as it connects to the applicant's goals. This opportunity is intended to follow the India: Global Health, Globalization & Leadership Course, although other arrangements are possible.
This program is offered in partnership with the Vivekananda Institute of Indian Studies (VIIS), an Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement (SVYM) initiative. These organizations have had a history of working in the fields of health, public health, advocacy, and education in southern India for three decades, and have had ongoing educational collaboration with multiple institutes of higher education around the world.
Projects and supervisors/preceptors will be with SVYM or their affiliates.
Learn more about SVYM and their work in this video.
Open to graduate and professional students (post-baccalaureate). Proficiency in the local language (Kannada) or the national language (Hindi) is not required.
Must have previous international travel experience and previous course work related to global health, social determinants of health, and cultural competence.
Students may be allowed to apply this program to a variety of academic requirements and must confer with their academic advisor to determine if it meets their specific requirements. Options may include:
- School of Public Health: Field Experience
- Medical School (3rd or 4th year): International Health Abroad (INMD 7565) - Global Medical Education and Research (GMER)
- School of Dentistry: Professional development points
- Others may be able to apply the experience to other requirements/electives
Housing will depend on placement. Living quarters will likely be in double-occupancy, dorm-style rooms.
Program Fee will will depend on the length and location of placement.
- Program Fee includes: accommodation, meals, transportation during program, airport transportation to/from Bangalore, and CISI insurance.
- Not included in Program Fee: Academic credit, airfare, Indian student visa, personal excursions, and other personal/living expenses. For planning purposes, these costs are estimated as follows:
- Academic credit - depends on school/college
- Transportation (flight) to/from Bangalore - $1,500 to $2,500, depending on dates. Participants are responsible for making their own arrangements.
- Passport/Photos - $150
- Visa/Required Documents – $115 to $240
- Required Immunizations - $225
- Texts/Materials - $0
- Housing and/or meals not included in program fee - $45 (Food during travel days)
- Essential Daily Living Expenses - $240
- Spending money and Personal travel - Depends
The current application process is as follows. Contact us with questions.
- Send an inquiry to email@example.com including the following:
- A short biography
- What are your goals for a Placement?
- What dates are you considering?
- What academic requirements are you trying to meet with this experience?
- How have you met the pre-requisites?
- We will contact you to set up an interview with Dr. Prasad to discuss your goals.
- Complete formal application
Program health and safety information is available at GO SAFE.