CGHSR Scholars Program
2019-20 CGHSR Scholars Announced
The Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility is pleased to announce two recipients of the CGHSR Scholars award for 2019 - 2020 to support a year of international research at partner institutions. Read about the recipients.
The CGHSR Scholars Program supports University of Minnesota doctoral students and postdocs to complete 12-months of mentored research at an international study site. Scholars will work on an active research study led by faculty from the University of Minnesota and from an international partner institution. Scholars will be expected to contribute to the study in a role that is appropriate for their course of study and level of training, and specific responsibilities will be discussed and decided between the proposed mentor and the trainee.
The purpose of the program is to provide opportunities to UMN students and postdocs to gain hands-on global health research experience, and to build connections between UMN and key international sites that are mutually beneficial.
Two of the three awards have been earmarked by the funders to support applicants to work on refugee and population health related projects through CGHSR’s collaboration with the UN Migration Agency.
Identifying a Mentor and Research Site
Prior to applying, applicants should familiarize themselves with current researchers at the University of Minnesota who are available to serve as a mentor. The requirements of research sites and mentors are:
- Evidence of a current University of Minnesota and international host institution research collaboration.
- Current or in-progress affiliation agreement between the University of Minnesota and international host institution (AHC-wide affiliation agreement is preferable. If status is not known, contact CGHSR staff).
- Willingness of mentors (UMN and host institution) to serve as year-long mentors. A letter of support from both mentors will be required at the time of application.
Refugee Health Project Applicants
- Please inquire about eligibility
Other CGHSR Scholars Applicants
- Must be a current University of Minnesota doctoral student or postdoc (doctoral degree completion within 3 years) in any of the six health science schools: School of Dentistry, School of Medicine, School of Nursing, College of Pharmacy, School of Public Health, College of Veterinary Medicine. Masters of Nursing students (2nd year) are also eligible to apply and must maintain their student status during the CGHSR Scholars year.
- Living Stipend: $20,000
- Travel Costs: $3,000
- Insurance Stipend: $2,000
- Mentor Discretionary Funding: up to $5,000 - mentors may request this funding to cover related costs, such as Scholar’s research expenses or compensation to foreign mentor or site.
Note: Tuition benefit is not available through this program. Students are encouraged to discuss the prospect of a flex year or research year with their school’s academic advisors and leadership prior to applying.
Applications are currently closed. For those interested in becoming a CGHSR Scholar in 2020-2021, applications will be available online beginning in August 2019.